George Eagle Memorial Scholarship
George H. Eagle served as Chief of the Ohio Department of Health, Bureau of Environmental Health, until his retirement in 1971. During his career, he influenced environmental health philosophy and practice in Ohio more than anyone else in the profession. As Chief Engineer of the State Health Department, and Head of the Bureau of Environmental Health, he was responsible for all technical aspects of water pollution control, solid waste disposal, radiation hazards, plumbing, and accident prevention. His bureau also included the Division of Sanitation, Which had jurisdiction over food protection programs, home and school sanitation, recreation and highway sanitation, and the migrant worker camp program.
Through his personal drive, interest, and leadership, George Eagle developed a solid foundation for environmental health programs in Ohio. He was instrumental in developing the milk sanitation program, in directing the development of water quality standards for Ohio’s streams, and in establishing a sound program for semi-public water supplies and wastewater treatment facilities. George hired Ohio’s first sanitarian, helped create the Ohio Association of Sanitarians, and was an early advocate of sanitarian registration.
George Eagle fostered the concept that protecting public health and preserving the environment is an ongoing process and that its success depends upon the perseverance and patience of environmental health professionals. Those who knew George recognized his professionalism, and organizational creativity, as well as his ability and willingness to assume leadership. His influence on environmental health will continue to prevail far into the future.
Applications are now open for the 2023 George Eagle Memorial Scholarship. Each year, this scholarship offers a $2000 cash award to one undergraduate student and one graduate student who express a willingness to pursue or expand an environmental health career in the State of Ohio. Recipients are chosen by members of the George Eagle Scholarship Committee who represent the Ohio Environmental Health Association (OEHA). The awards will be presented at the OEHA Annual Educational Conference on April 13-14, 2023. The deadline to submit applications is Friday, March 3, 2023.
Undergraduate Eligibility Requirements
- Must be an Ohio resident.
- Enrolled in an environmental health degree program or related degree program as determined by the OEHA Board of Directors.
- Must have a sophomore, junior, or senior standing in a baccalaureate program.
- Whether an undergraduate in Ohio or out of state, applicant shall express the intent to pursue an environmental health related career in the State of Ohio upon graduation.
Graduate Eligibility Requirements
- OEHA member in good standing for two consecutive years prior to applying for scholarship.
- Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) or Environmental Health Specialist in Training (EHSIT) in the State of Ohio.
- Enrolled in an environmental health or public health graduate degree program or related graduate degree program as determined by the George Eagle Scholarship Committee.
- The College or University must be an accredited school of higher learning.
- A personal interview may be required as determined by the George Eagle Scholarship Committee.
Send applications and/or contributions to:
Traven A. Wood, MS, REHS
George Eagle Scholarship Committee Chair
Licking County Health Department
675 Price Road
Newark, OH 43055
>>>Click Here to Access the George Eagle Graduate Application<<<
>>>Click Here to Access the George Eagle-Undergraduate Application<<<